At long last, details of when preview members can try the biggest update for Xbox One are finally here!
From a blog post early this morning, the first details about how and when Xbox One preview members can expect the new user interface have arrived! Here’s the gist of what the Xbox team has in store:
Unlike previous months, preview members will be offered an invitation to try the new UI at various times depending on how much feedback they’ve given the Xbox team in the past. When you are invited to try the new interface, Xbox Live will send a message directly to your console where you’ll be able to accept or deny the invitation. If you choose to deny it, you’ll continue to get normal updates like everyone else, but you won’t be removed from the preview program. If you choose to accept the invite, you can expect quick fixes to UI bugs as new builds for the UI will roll out regularly over the course of September and October.
In short, if you’re an active preview member who leaves plenty of feedback, you will likely be invited soon. If you mostly coast through the program and don’t ever leave feedback, you’ll probably be one of the last folks in the preview program to get the new UI.
If you’re not in the preview program on Xbox One, you can expect the new Xbox user interface sometime in November when it goes public. And For those who know nothing about what’s coming in the new UI, here’s an abbreviated list of what the Director of Xbox Program Management Mike Ybarra said about the new update:
- Play your Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. At launch you’ll be able to play over 100 Xbox 360 games on Xbox One with hundreds more in the months to come.
- A new Guide lets you quickly access essentials with just one button press to save time spent weaving in and out of apps. You can access the Guide from Home by pressing left or double tap the Xbox button on your controller to instantly overlay the Guide. You can access Friends, quickly start a Party, get to Settings, see System Notifications, view your Messages, and more from Home or without leaving your game.
- We’re redesigning Home to make it faster and easier to get to the things you love. We’re introducing a faster and easier interface to provide access to games and apps you’ve recently used.
- We’re introducing a new Community section to make Xbox One more social. Based on your feedback, this section is optimized to help you tap into what other gamers are doing on Xbox Live and directly contribute to the conversation happening within the Xbox Live community. Check out what your friends are up to or keep track of the games you follow in the redesigned Activity Feed.
- The revamped OneGuide will be your single destination for TV, movies and video apps. From OneGuide, you can see a list of current trending live TV shows with the most viewers at that moment on Xbox. TV listings will now come up instantly and in full-screen, and we’ve added a picture-in-picture mode for TV so you can browse for other things to watch without missing what’s happening in your show.
- We’re optimizing Store to help you quickly find the content you want. Browse through intuitive categories like Staff Picks, New Releases, Top played, Top rated, Coming Soon and Recommendations to discover new games, apps, and entertainment for your Xbox One.
To catch a sneak peek of how the new UI functions check out this video courtesy of Xbox’s official YouTube channel:
If you’re a preview member, are you excited to try out the new UI in the next few weeks? Do you think you’ll be amongst the first to try out the new Xbox One experience? Feel free to let me know in the comments or on Twitter!